January 1, 2010

6 Resolutions for 2010

In an earlier post I discussed the idea of choosing 6 different resolutions for 2010 and focusing on each one of these resolutions for 2 months at a time. The idea is that focusing on one resolution or habit at a time will give me a higher success rate.

Therefore, my plan is as follows:

January - February: I will be focusing on creating the habit of exercising every day. I have a goal to run a marathon towards the end of 2010. In order to get there I need to get into the habit of running at least 6 days a week and the sooner I start the better chance I have of succeeding. Therefore for the first two months of 2010 I will be focusing on running at least 6 days a week. My plan is to start off easy only running 20 -30 minutes a day. Gradually towards the end of the two months I hope to have built up to being able to run closer to a full hour. Along with the running I want to do 15 crunches and 10 push ups after each run. Not a lot but a consistent effort over the course of a year will really make a difference.

March - April: The next habit I want to focus on is not eating out. In March and April I will try to develop the habit of eating my lunch at work instead of going out to fast food. I will save more money and be eating a little healthier. One thing I will allow is that if I am asked by someone to go to lunch (usually happens once a week or so) then I will join. Otherwise I must eat a lunch I packed from home.

May - June: For these two months I want to really focus on my job. I tend to spend too much time checking other blogs or reading news on the Internet. I want to change this habit so that while I am at the office I am focusing on work. Also during these two months I would like to try to get a better understanding of the more complex laws guiding my industry. I work in an area of taxation that is pretty specific. I would like to read some of the IRS code and try to memorize the laws so that I can be more knowledgeable. Ideally these two months will help turn me into a more valuable worker who possibly deserves a promotion and a raise!

July - August: Soda! I want to give up drinking soda. Currently I don't drink much but I do drink a soda at lunch time during the work week. This is a waste of money and I get no nutritional value from it. I would like to quit the habit of drinking soda and focus on drinking water, juice or milk.

September - October: These two months I will be focusing on keeping the kitchen clean! I like having things in order and clean. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed when I walk into a room and things are messy. The main room of our house that I see everyday before I leave and when I get home is the kitchen. It's also the easiest to get dirty. So for these two months I would like to focus on cleaning up the kitchen each night after dinner. Cleaning out the sink, wiping off the counters and cleaning off the stove will do wonders for bringing me peace of mind.

November - December: For the last two months of 2010 I would like to focus on a habit that I should have developed a long time ago. I need to brush my teeth every single night and floss every day. Currently I don't do this. I think it will be important for the health of my teeth and hopefully fewer problems at the dentist will lead to saving some money!

So what do you think? If I can accomplish all this in 2010 then it will be a successful year! What are your resolutions? How do you plan on achieving your goals?

No comments:

Post a Comment